Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Me and my Mini-Girls



Very early in our relationship, my husband told me he was a "breast man," which proves he really loves me for me, because I am a not busty chick.  In spite of that fact,  I must admit I have always liked my breasts.  I am writing about this because I want to help EVERYONE (men too) to LOVE their own bodies.  That's right, even the guys with the man boobs!  I feel a sort of connection to those guys, because the general consensus is that men aren't supposed to look that way.  By the same token, women are given all sorts of suggestions from puberty through old age about the importance of their breasts, more for form than for function, SO: when a girl has barely noticeable breasts, she gets sent a message that she is unfeminine or undesirable.

Our media and images of women in our culture tend to glorify what Tina Fey calls "doll tits."  Honeys, if you've got doll tits, flaunt 'em if it feels good!  I completely support the many women I know who adore showing off their cleavage and refer to their boobs as "my girls."  As for me, my girls are like Peter Pan--they're never gonna grow up, and that fits my playful personality.  In fact, after I had children I experienced the reverse of what many women go through post-baby.  I got skinnier.  My body got leaner and my breasts got smaller.  I know a few other women who have experienced a similar transformation, and one thing on which we can all agree is that as mothers, our bodies change.  I am very grateful to my body for engendering my little boys and to my breasts for feeding them, and I love to hear, "Mommy, I like your boobies."  Before I had my boys, I wore a B cup, when I was nursing them I moved into a D, and now I barely fill out an A.  I was frankly the most uncomfortable with the D, still uncomfortable at C and I feel the best with my A's.

So let's talk implants: I have a friend who always felt a little self-conscious about her small breasts, and when she got beautiful implants (I saw and felt them firsthand, and they are indeed perfect) the impact on her confidence and comfort level was decidedly positive.  I was happy for her.  Another acquaintance got implants to bump her from an A to a C after having her two children.  She looks beautiful.  Upon seeing this, I asked my husband what he would think about me getting breast augmentation, and he seemed rather pleased.  I told him what my friend had payed and he said he thought that was reasonable and would support me if I wanted to get the surgery.  I am grateful that he is so supportive, and I am also a little guilty because I never intended to get implants-- I remembered him telling me how he's a breast man, so I was testing him a little.  Here's how I feel about implants and other plastic surgery: people need to do whatever they can to enhance their own health and happiness, short of hurting themselves or others.  Personally, the thought of someone cutting open my flesh to insert foreign parts that will enhance the appearance of my breasts to fit a cultural, artistic or even a biological ideal, makes me feel aversion.  Looking in the mirror naked, on the other hand, does not make me feel aversion.  It makes me feel powerful, actually. 

I like myself.  I like my body the way it is.  I am comfortable in it most of the time, and when I'm not, I do healthy things to make my body feel better.  Many of the healthy things I do are actually much easier to do with small breasts... so it all works out!

Just for you other women and men who like small breasts, here's a list of stuff you can do more easily with mini-girls:

1. Run
2. Leap
3. Dive
4. Break dance
5. Jump up and down really fast
6. Push-ups
7. Sit-ups
8. Lots and lots of yoga poses
9. Jump rope
10. Freeze dance
11. Sleep on your stomach
12. Carry money and/or lip gloss in your bra
13. Avoid back pain
14. Be cooler in the summer
15. Enjoy more eye contact with men!

Curvy bodies are beautiful.  Round bodies are beautiful.  Straight bodies are beautiful.  Hard bodies are beautiful.  What works for me might not work for you, but we all have a right to love the body we're in.  Mine is lean and sometimes my veins bulge in my hands and forearms.  I look like I work out, and that's because I do.  In response to an older female relative who said, "you really lost your bustline after you had kids, huh?" I replied, "Yeah, thanks for noticing my transformation!"  Number one, there wasn't much there to begin with, and number two, I gained a hell of a lot more than anything I lost when I had kids, and that goes for the traditionally matronly bosoms among us as well.  Let's all enjoy our own particular beauty, in whatever way we can.  If you can't, then I'd recommend psychotherapy or some spiritual TLC before you visit a plastic surgeon.  When the surgeries are over, the self-consciousness and self-doubt will still be there... so cut into that first. 

1 comment:

  1. Very good article. I am going through some of these issues
    as well..

    Look at my webpage - Work From Home Opportunities

    ReplyDelete